New Charlotte Academics

International Undergraduate Requirements / Adult Degree Completion

Listed below are the steps involved when applying to Pfeiffer, qualifying for an I-20, applying for a visa, and finally, arriving in the United States:

1)  Submit an adult undergraduate application for admission to Pfeiffer University

2)  Submit transcripts from ALL schools attended showing you are qualified academically

2)  Submit evidence of English proficiency. A basic requirement for successful study in the United States is the ability to communicate in English. International students applying to the university must use one of the following methods to show that they have an appropriate level of English proficiency:

Pfeiffer accepts ANY of the following as proof of English proficiency.

a)  TOEFL score of at least 500 PBT/173 CBT/61 IBT, taken at an official ETS testing center and NOT in-house; i.e., at a university
b)  IELTS score of at least 6.0
c)  College English Test (CET)
d)  Completion of 24 semester hours at a US university
e)  Completion of a US high school diploma
f)  Completion of an appropriate level in an ESL program which, according to the ESL school, is sufficient for the undergraduate level of university study.
g)  Satisfactory SAT or ACT score 

NOTE:  The TOEFL is given in most countries around the world on computer (the paper based version is being phased out).  The test is offered on many days during the month, but only at a limited number of computer centers.  You may have to travel some distance to reach the nearest test center.  Pre-registration is required.  The TOEFL uses a multiple choice and essay format to measure each examinee's ability to understand North American English.  The test is divided into four sections:  listening, structure, reading, and writing.  The writing section requires the test taker to write an essay.  The total number of questions you answer correctly and your score on the essay form the raw scores for each section.

4)  Submit proof of financial support sufficient to cover your first year's expenses including living expenses. CHECK WITH THE ADMISSIONS 0FFICE FOR THE TOTAL AMOUNT YOU NEED TO DOCUMENT.  ALL CURRENCY LISTED SHOULD BE IN US DOLLARS. You will be sent a Statement of Financial Support Form.  You can download this form by going to and clicking on “Forms.”    We will also need bank statements showing the availability of funds.  Make a copy of this documentation before you send it to Pfeiffer, because you will need it when you apply for your visa and also when you arrive in the United States at the port of entry.

5)  Submit copy of your passport ID page (the page with your name and expiration date)

After you have been formally accepted and submitted all the necessary documents, Pfeiffer will send you an I-20.  Please read this document carefully; if you find an error, let us know immediately since an error could have a negative impact on your application for an F-1 visa.  Also, read page 2 which outlines your responsibilities as an F-1 student.

SEVIS FEE: BEFORE applying for an F-1 visa at a United States consulate or embassy, the Department of Homeland Security requires payment of a $200 SEVIS fee.  There are two ways to pay this fee: 

1)  The fee may be paid by mail by submitting Form I-901, "Fee Remittance for Certain F, M, and J Nonimmigrants" together with a check or money order drawn on a U.S. bank and payable in US currency; or
2)  The fee may be paid on-line by going to  On this website, you can complete Form I-901 and pay the fee using Visa, MasterCard, or American Express, whether issued in the US or overseas.   This is the quickest method.

The SEVIS fee should be paid at least THREE business days before applying for your visa.



Share this on your favorite sites: